Monday, May 14, 2012

Going to Ghana. Ez Pz, right? Wrong.


Holy smokes: you would think trying to get into a foreign country would just give you a nice introduction to life's trials, well it doesn't, it's not very nice at all. Especially going to a place as far away as Ghana.

It started with a crazy beginning as one of best friend's, Madison, was amazing and generous enough to take me across the state of Florida from Fort Myers to Miami. As it happened to be my sisters birthday, after having a nice appetizer with me at Fridays, they spent my last day in America with their mother at stir crazy and I went to work with Madison moving my stuff from Fort Myers into my fathers apartment in Boca Raton then packing my bags for Africa.


Five heavy but relatively small bags later, my father Madison and I went to Ale House in Boca to discuss life. I miss him already, my father has a wisdom seldom could ever actually obtain; he does not judge or expect explanations, he has learned to take people as they are. More than a hard worker, a true calculated risk taker. If you ever want to understand real braveryand wisdom, listen to my father and his stories.


Well onwards, my night began when Madison decided upon a hotel close to the airport so I could just take a shuttle from the hotel to the airport since international travel explains to be there 3 hours before hand and my flight was at 7. Too bad I wasn't logical enough to know that airports don't open until 5 am. Well... My second mistake was thinking that I could do anything without having her by my side to be my eyes when mine were too tired to catch the details, such as leaving my phone on the shuttle, carrying a computer that was not going to work in Africa, and not condensing my five bags into something smaller. Well as I realized too late about my phone, I had my wonderful father save me even from miles away; terrified and tired I couldnt figure out how to get my phone back without technology at my fingertips. As I was already devastated to find much of my Ghana funds to be depleted due to more luggage fees ($368) I felt stripped of innovation when the computer wouldn't connect to the Internet. I called my father crying, asking him what should to do. He helped me solve the problem almost immediately. He called the Holiday Inn Express and connected th driver to the operator and told me to call holiday inn operator to see if I could figure something out. By Gods true grace I was saved when the operator explained that if I could manage getting out of the terminal to get my phone at the drop off they'd have it. My hopes were slightly crumbled when I realized my flight was set to leave in 30 minutes. How was I supposed to run from the very back of the terminal to the front of the airport and get through security once again with my two large bags? Well again, God was watching over me and blessed me with a wonderful Delta representative who "checked my luggage" while I was running for my phone. I don't think I've ever run so fast for something so insignificant in my life, but I was too scared to survive 11 hours at JFK without some form of communication with the people I love along the way.


So as I dashed in and out of people at MIA airport from terminal 15 to the very front by the outside drop off, I was constantly thinking about time. I waited patiently by the Delta drop off for 10 minutes, cringing every time a bus passed that was not the holiday inn expresses until it finally arrived, phone in tow. I could never explain to you the relief that came over me; suddenly everything was okay. I knew it would turn out ok. I ran to security, went through the whole ordeal one more time, with no luggage and sprinted to my terminal where I was the very last one to board but the amazing Delta representative kept my luggage by the desk. I boarded, cried like a baby in gratitude to my father and God, then fell asleep on a practically deserted flight to JFK.

I arrived in JFK slightly refreshed and called my grandma to let her know I was all right. But of course my need for technology resurfaced so I tried the computer again, the wifi wasn't working. Or maybe it wouldn't connect to the computer, whatever the reason was I wasn't having it and neither was my grandma. She gave me a few tips on what to do then I went to work, asking where I could figure this out with free wifi. I would like to brag for a second that even though a representative told me that a specific Restaurant would give me wifi I found it by usingthe force... Haha no really I stand by that truly, considering JFK is huge and I had no idea where I was going; I just kept moving forward. I found the wifi spot and started working on trying to figure out what was going on with the computer. It finally connected so I thought all was jn the clear; well it wasn't. THE COMPUTER CRASHED ON ME. Right at the airport, hours before I was to leave for Ghana where much of my research would be using a computer. It was no comforting, but as Walt Disney said, we must keep moving forward if we are to ever figure it out. Of course my grandma was freraking out after I told her the computer crashed; I don't think she was ever really calm from the moment I told her I was leaving for Africa, but I suppose that's a story only she could tell. Well I decided that I was going to wallow in my misery of having no computer by having a drink at the Chili's; there just so happened to be a phone help service through Delta that told me where my flight was to depart from finally. (I had no idea where I was departing from until that very moment, as the flight was so late the computers didn't even have an update for a departure to Accra.


Well after my ridiculously strong margarita and a salad, I took a small nap outside the gate; only o wake up to many missed text messages from my father expressing his wishes for me to call him. So I called. Along side my grandma, he was trying to figure out a way for me to get a computer; I'm not sure I could've survived this trip without them. With the help of the Delta representatives, I managed to receive a boarding pass and was encouraged to go to a local best buy in order to obtain a device. This is where I came into my very first IPad thanks to my grandma, father and left ove Ghana money. I came back with plenty of time to spare, and after thanking the representatives profusely set off to the correct gate and waited patiently for my flight. I tried to figure it out but I telnet wasn't connecting, and I didn't have an Apple ID to connect to in order to download applications. Thankfully God sent me another angel in the form of Elizabeth Rich who I met in line to get my red stamp on my boarding pass. We talked and I found out she was from Michighan, thereforen I instantly trusted her. Well from then life was easier, I had a friend to share my experience with and a funny story to tell. She gave me access to the Internet and I gave her a temporary companion to feel safe with. The same Delta representative even came over to check how I was doing and "helped" me find a mor comfortable seat next to a window, in the back, free of crying children, right next to Elizabeth. I am not sure why God blessed me so on this day, but he did and I will forever be grateful because on this day I came into a better relationship with my father, a nifty new iPad, a friend and a comfortable ride to Africa. Every single moment was worth it. Even missing The Avengers movie, since Delta relayed the message that it would be coming to their screens come August (aka when I would be arriving back into the United Statets).


Now that was just getting there.. Imagine now what my first couple hours, let alone first few days were like.

Welcome to Gone to Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment