Saturday, June 30, 2012

8 weeks? No....really!?

This week has truly been... Adventurous, crazy, peaceful, stressful, rough, illuminating, emotional, giddy and just overall out of this world. 

So Monday we were supposed to wake up early and leave for Accra; but instead my old homestay mom from Pro World had arranged for Hailey and I to visit her husband in Winneba at a hotel RIGHT ON THE BEACH! It was beautiful and we were so lucky. So Sunday night we stayed at the hotel, woke up, waited for breakfast, and walked around the site. We took some great pictures and even got to assist in pulling in a HUGE fishing net. I can only imagine how long it takes them to pull in the whole net with how deep into the ocean it reached. We have had the most amazing weekend. Well after the tour we left for Accra then took a tro tro to Ho Hoe. It's nice to finally learn how to get around. 

Tuesday I went to school then we went to Ho Hoe to get Hailey a modem for her computer. Then Wednesday we went to Ho Hoe and found that the Internet cafe was complete crap but I was able to finish a project so all was ok and I made the best of it. Thursday after a rough Wednesday night without power and some bad news, we were determined to have a good day so we set off in search for the monkey sanctuary in Tafi Atome. It was a very beautiful lush forest jungle type area completely drenched from the non-stop rain that we had encountered throughout our trip; and then we saw them...these beautiful moto monkeys. So a little back story on why we were so determined to see these monkeys is because Hailey is afraid of monkeys. Well I of course wasn't having that so I made her feed a banana to a monkey then one proceeded to jump on her back. She was def afraid but she conquered it like a champ. After we went to the Kente cloth village which was really cool and fascinating. They were inspired from a spider who was able to spin the most beautiful webs, and they of course do the spider justice with the kinds of cloths they make. I met a new friend named Elvis and he is another Ghanaian man that could bring me to heartbreak hotel haha. He was really nice and helped me survive riding a motorcycle in Ghana for the first time. Since I was so terrified he drove really slow for me and Haileys driver drove slow as well. I was practically attached like a monkey gripping into his back every time we went over any kind of bump. If it wasn't such a far walk in pouring rain to the Kente village then back to the junction I would've made us walk; that's for sure. 

Friday I went to my junior high school but since everything was sort of crazy ith the weather we didn't end up teaching; instead I arraqnged for Hailey to eat fufu for the first time, which was exciting! Always delicious, but bank and it's peppe is always better. But Friday was also supposed to be hailey and mines "date night" haha. She has a tiny crush on a coordinator of ours who coerces us with alcohol whenever he can it seems and I of course still drool over that student intern at my primary school.  Well turns out their idea of hanging out Friday at 5 was us watching them play a football match. I really love watching football ;) hahahahahaha, well after we went to eat back at home and had some home made banku which was delicious. After we sat around and relaxed a bit, well it was getting late but the town had never been louder. There was another funeral going on and they were playing crazy Lou's music and trombones with drums so I asked Hailey if she wanted to go take a walk. So we went with our next door neighbor Victoria since Doris and Vida were asleep on my bed and just walked around our village. Funny thing, we're getting closer to the loud music and funeral drums and there is our coordinator, dancing and singing with the funeral, who promised to hang out with us Friday night. Well he comes over, invites us to sit down around the party and brings us a couple beers. We hang out, not drinking haha, and watch the drumming and dancing and just have a great time. Then, my favorite part, my intern friend called and said he was coming to hang out after all and would let me know when he was by the funeral. We met up and walked back to where our site is and just hung around and talked. I tried to act cool, but I failed so I of course probably looked like a twitter pated fool but whatever, win some ya lose some haha. It really is the ones that don't go crazy for you her that are the ones worth just getting to know and can't help but get twitter pated over. 

Saturday we woke up early to go climb the Afadjato mountain but it was so complicated to get there and ridiculously expensive; instead we decided to go to Wli Falls. It was a great decision because the falls were breathtaking. Nature is truly the most beautiful thing God gave us. I had the best time ever climbing to the falls and can't wait until the upper falls open up to go climb to them as well. The pictures again don't even do the beauty of Ghana justice. The mountains were exquisite and filled with the most beautiful trees and deep forest greens surrounded by long luscious plants. I kept saying over and over and over again how beautiful it was I think hailey got tired of it haha. I actually went into the water and tried to get a couple good shots but with the weather, the water pressure and wind together going super close to the falls wasn't the most advisable. After I saw Elvis again!!! He even ran after me like out of a movie or something. I seriously wish I had the gall to give him my number, but I mean if he wanted it he'd ask right?! Haha. Such a little girl. Well one of the facilities other tour guides, Wisdom, sat and talked with us for a bit. He was hysterical and if you ever have the chance to go to Wli Falls make sure you get him as a guide; we wish he would've been ours!! 

Hailey leaves Monday and its making me incredibly homesick. I'm here for another 7 weeks but it seems like forever. I have officially been here for two months/8 weeks today. On Monday there's a holiday too so I'll be doing a whole lot of nothing. I know I'm going to miss Hailey, not just the company. The kids give me great company, but Hailey and I are just a good balanced friendship. Haha. Idk we're weird. I miss everyone at home, my friends, my family. I feel so out of touch with everyone lately since I've been so busy. Plus I just found out school ends here July 26th aka I'll be here for 3 weeks doing a whole lot of nothing sadly. I'm trying to move back to Cape Coast during that time but I have to figure out how to change things with my internship. I still have to extend my visa and get my paper work all set up. Blah. 

This whole handling everything for the Peace Corps while I'm in Ghana is crazy. I can't wait until I get my invitation in the mail. I'm sort of going crazy and just can't wait until I receive that beautiful blue envelope filled with Peace Corps goodies :) I still can't believe I've been here for 8 weeks now!!!! Seriously, time has flew by. Like I said I miss everyone from home!! I look forward to every message and email sent so please keep them coming. Love you all.

Happy reading and have an amazing independence day aka my favorite Holliday in the USA <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment