Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ghanian food for the win!

I realized I haven't spoken much about what I'm eating so I figured I'd give you a little explanation: 

1. I love the noodles they have here. They are the kind of noodles that the Ramen Noodle packages are in with a very similar chicken powder (though I'm not sure it's a powder or just a spice they have). I'm obsessed, honestly I think I inhale the bowl when ever Christiana makes it for me, tastes like home. 

2. Fruit here is fresh and amazing. Juicy mangoes right off the trees, bananas so good and ripe and oranges delicious and perfect. They sell pineapples and watermelons often in some villages, but in our little piece of heaven it's a rare treat. 

3. There are different types of hot sauces: one that works similar to the ones at home and this red liquid paste type stuff that is actually really good but has a weird burnt after taste. Others, but I haven't had the chance to try them all.

4. Some villagers know what curry is, others not so much. Sad ours doesn't because the curry in Ghana is amazing. Especially when I had it in Accra. Curry rice & fried chicken= yummy 

5. Rice is the food, the only food, the staple food. Everything usually has a side of rice. White rice usually. 

6. Sometime they serve oats and pooridge or oatmeal for breakfast, however you swing the name the stuff is definitely not my favorite dish even here. 

7. Even though i dont like American pancakes. The pancakes here are like crepes and they are gooooooooooooooooooooloddddddd, especially with cinnamon. Christiana usually makes me an omelette with onions for breakfast though.

8. They make me "hot tea" (milo/cocoa) every morning and it is the best part of waking up; folgers coffee has nothing on milo. Milo (a brand of cocoa) mixes with hot water, sugar, and powdered milk to make the best hot chocolate ever :) 

9. Bread here is so heavy, but some places in larger towns have lighter brown bread. But our town has thick white pieces. Yummy, just.... A lot lol.  

10. Banku... Ahh I wish I could show you what it is exactly. But think of a white ball of mushy yummyness boiled in a bag in water so it sticks together, a delicious type salsa that has fresh jalapeños, onions and tomatoes, then a side of chicken or fish (depending on preference). It's amazing. And by far my favorite Ghanian dish!! 

11. Fish... Fish is everywhere here. But to be honest it's not my cup of tea. They grill it, fry it, do all sorts of things to it but 9/10 it still has the tail and eyes attached... And that just does not suit well with me lol

12. Ghanians love their pizza. Its just like back home but it's really good... Though it's always the most expensive thing on the menu by double and it's usually only in major cities. 

13. Yams here are not the type of yams we have in the states: they're like the white potato type things. And they're not yummy unless they're fried like potatoes and slathered in hot sauce (for me) though a lot of people eat them with ketchup. 

14. Street vendors sell this dish called "stew" which has angel hair noodles, white rice and this red sauce type mixture. It's yummy and always a good go to if you're hungry and on the go, but it's probably not smart to eat it after only a couple days of being here. Also...tip#1 I learned from Brooke is make sure the stew pots are steaming, means its not too old and hasn't been sitting around. 

15. They also make really great doughnut and cake type dishes. They're not like the cake back home, more pie shaped doughnuts. Not fried dough, maybe baked? Haven't figured out how yet but it's very sweet and very good. 

16. There's also this vegetable type thing called "cassava" I'm not sure how to describe it other than it has a brown outside, white inside and shaped sort of like a squash. It's usually yummy when mixed with other foods. 

17. Cabbage is usually and often cooked food here, but I'm not too much of a fan. Here or in the states. 

18. Most chicken here is cooked in tiny little pieces. Very fresh but plain, like I said before... I wish I had some curry in the village haha, it could solve every food dilemma of mine. 

19. Red red, it's a type of bean dish with red sauce and usually served with fried plantains. Not my favorite but the fried plantains (when served hot) are AMAZING!!!! 

20. But the bestest thing I've had here is BY FAR the plantain chips. They are the perfectly snack and ridiculously yummy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment