Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crazy week!

I was sick over the weekend and missed school on Monday. I was a big mess. It stunk because I stayed in bed the whole time! And then Tuesday I went to school and taught two lessons and had lots of fun with my students!! We did another sex organ game I created and then I talked a little about puberty. Then Hailey and I went to Ho Hoe and had our best trip ever. Since we both needed to withdraw money we hurried over to Barclays and had a quick bite at one of the local places; going down the street we saw visible damage from the riots and fires that had happened the week before. it was sort of crazy to experience solely to the fact that it all seemed so controlled at that point since there were police and soldiers everywhere. The business of places were def affected and we saw many closed down. The curfew had moved from 4 pm to 6 pm, but as we were getting ready to head home the soldiers were already beginning to direct traffic. I was super happy because Hailey and I were able to take a tro tro! Hailey had yet to be on a tro tro so I was excited to be able to show it to her! We bought a couple choco in a bag drinks and were on our way home from another successful trip to Ho Hoe.

Wednesday was a great day for me because I went and saw the worship to the primary school I teach at. It was one of the funnest things I've ever been apart of, and after they taught a little about HIV/AIDS which I thought was awesome!!  After I went on with a lesson, then went to my junior school and did a pregnancy activity and went over many of the points I had went over during pregnancy and started sex education. They had great questions and I was happy to answer them! I was supper happy because I ate fufu for the first time!! Its actually really yummy and makes for an excellent meal!! The spices are amazing :) Then Hailey and I went to Jasikan for some yummy treats and fruit juice. I saw Boyo on the way back, which was nice because...well he's just nice to look at and talk to too haha. Then we went home and had some good sausage and indomine for the first time, it's hard to describe how it tasted but think right in the middle of the saltiness of polish sausage and the size and texture of a hot dog. It was good though with our noodle treat. 

Then since Thursday was a holiday we just sat at home and hung out with the kids. It was actually a lot of fun because we got to pound fufu for the first time. Then I went into mommy mode and took care of one of the. It's who had a fever of 103!!! I was going a little crazy and neurotic haha. But the father came by and said God bless me, which was really nice of him. Then Hailey and I got all packed for Cape Coast this weekend and left at midnight on a bus to Accra. The bus to Accra was super bumpy but I fell asleep and then when we got to Accra we hopped a tro tro to Cape Coast and arrived just around 9 AM. My old home stay mother from Pro World welcomed us with open arms and a good breakfast too. So Hailey ate well, showered, then I took her to the Cape Coast Castle and perused around a bit. After that we went home and just relaxed with the girls then passed out super early. We woke up well rested and ready for a great day! We went to a local vegetarian place and we actually saw a ProWorld Coordinator Sarah there. It was nice to see her, and even Jamal another ProWorld volunteer happened to stop by while we were eating and told us about a wheelchair basketball down by he HoopsCare international spot so we went over after breakfast and checked it out. I'll admit, I did miss Cape Coast a bit and having Hailey there was really awesome! I finally felt like I was giving her a good trip and a good experience here in Ghana :) after we did some souvenir shopping and got some really great treats!! I'm excited because I'll have some great skirts to wear to FIJI!! 

Oh by the way, in case I didn't mention before... I'm in the process of becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer and was just invited to FIJI leaving September 4th!! I'm crazy excited and can't wait to go! I really hope it all works out :) Tomorrow we're heading over to Elmina beach then we'll come home and in the middle of the night take a bus back to Accra then back to Ho Hoe!! We're trying to see a monkey sanctuary so we're crossing our fingers that everything works out!! it's weird because I actually miss all my boys back home! Owusu, Richson and Nelson...it's weird not seeing them everyday and having them with me. I bought them a ball while we were out. What can I say? I'm a sucker haha.

Happy reading <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment